How to configure Qtspeech

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Sep 17 04:24:49 BST 2019

Hello Gustav,

Unfortunately QtSpeech by itself isn't going to solve the problem you're
trying to solve. QtSpeech is just a library that wraps speech sythesizers.
On linux it wraps speech-dispatcher itself (which in turn has modules for
various synthesizers like espeak-ng and festival.) In order to achieve the
functionality of Jovie we need a gui  or at a minimum a context menu
entry/thing in plasma to send text through QtSpeech. A short term solution
would be to use a terminal with spd-say command-line or if you prefer a gui
kmouth is an option. kmouth is a gui that you can type into and have it
speak. It used to use jovie to do so, but I think uses QtSpeech (I'll check
that in the morning, I know I had a branch of kmouth that used QtSpeech at
some point, not sure if it got merged/released). For configuring
speech-dispatcher you can edit the config files by hand with a text editor
or use the terminal based spd-conf command to walk through setting a
default synthesizer and volumes, etc. At some point in the near future it
would be good to develop a system-settings kde control module for
speech-dispatcher itself to have a gui, but that's not more than an idea in
my head so far... Hope that helps.

Wow, I really need to get some of these ideas implemented and out of my
head. They've been in there far too long. I appologize.

thanks,
Jeremy