How to configure Qtspeech - was configuring speech-dispatcher - festival TTS works!!

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Thu Oct 10 02:56:34 BST 2019

Heya Gustav,

Good to hear you got festival working. Another option to try if you haven't
yet (and if OpenSuse has packages for it) is svox pico. Android used to use
it before the past couple of releases. It sounds pretty natural to most
people and has voices available in a few languages (English, Spanish,
French and German iirc). I think it's kind of abandoned at this point from
looking at it's git history, but it works well if packaged right.
Speech-dispatcher has a module for it called "pico" you can set as your
default module if it's available etc. to try.

In other news the okular changes got merged to okular so will be in the
19.12 release of KDE Applications once it comes out this december. Adds a
configuration to select either the flite or speech-dispatcher QtSpeech
backend in okular's settings dialog and adds an action to pause/resume that
you can assign a keyboard shortcut to if you need.

thanks,
Jeremy