[orca-list] Accessibility in Plasmas new notification system

Peter Vágner pvagner at pvagner.tk
Thu Jun 6 14:41:17 BST 2019

Hello,

A quote from the blog...

When an application sets a “default” action, the cursor changes to a
pointing hand to indicate that the popup itself is clickable.

This needs to be modified if the author wishes to improve the
accessibility support.

I think we are missing robust and very accessible access to notifications.
GNOME's notifications can receive system focus, it can be controlled
from the keyboard to an extend but it is not possible to execute actions
associated to notifications.

Orca it-self has some notification-daemon built-in support that indexes
notifications as soon as they are issued, however again orca can present
these and the presentation is perfectly accessible however it's not
possible to directly act on the notifications this way.
Another thing might be configurable is that orca indexes the
notifications until it's restarted and does not dismiss these when the
notification is acted on in another way. For example if I receive a new
message in thunderbird, I switch focus into the thunderbird window, read
the unread message and notification is removed from the notification
area. Orca will still present it in its notification list.

Ideally we'd need to make some notification pannel accessible the way
you Chrys are trying to do now.
However I am not sure we can find enough support upstream and perhaps
developing accessible client for notification daemon is something that
should be considered.

I am not very experienced in this regard but ability to bridge
notification importance to speech-dispatcher priorities, ability to act
on the notifications, ability to hide certain notifications, ability to
group notifications by an app or device that has issued them, ability to
assign sounds
would be cool features for a modern desktop.

I am not sure some of these features are currently possible right now
but I think that would boost productivity forward for visually disabled
users too.

I know such a view may only have emerged recently after we became
spoiled by notification handling on mobile oses.

But remember those who don't need accessibility support may eventually
get linux on their mobile devices in the foreseable future. We are kind
of jealous and we'd prefer that too if it would be possible of course.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 6. 6. 2019 o 15:22 chrys at linux-a11y.org napísal(a):