Desktop Icons are now accessible

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Thu Oct 18 16:16:18 BST 2018

On torsdag 18. oktober 2018 16.01.15 CEST chrys at linux-a11y.org wrote:
> Howdy List,
>
> just to keep you on track:
>
> Good news:
> - i got it managed (thanks to gladhorn and hein for assist) to make
> the plasma desktop icons accessible to orca.
> currently this lives only on my local branch but i will try to land
> the patch in the next couple of days (next days are busy days for me).
> but after that the desktop icons are fully accessible.

Very nice!

> - Keybaord navigation on desktop was fixed in plasma 5.14.1
>
> Bad News:
> The F123 team found some issues in kate (text editor) while caret
> navigation: 1. Arrow up/ down will not interrupt orcas current speech
> output.
> maybe it looks like to additional content to orca insteed of an line
> navigation. so ctrl needs to been pressed after every line change to
> interrupt.
> 2. After doing arrow up / down i start to navigate by char (arrow left
> / right) orca does repeat the previous line once instead of just speak
> the char. this only happen once and directly after an line navigation.

Kate has a custom implementation for the accessible text interface. It lives
in ktextedtor and can be fixed.

If we find out what Orca expects, let's just make sure the right accessibility
events are sent. I think at the moment we don't do anything special and rely
on Orca interpreting key presses correctly.

This is why it's so important that someone tries these things :) I'm sure the
Kate people will be happy to accept fixes, I had no trouble getting the
initial implementation in. This was written in 2014 and has simply not seen
enough testing.

The code lives in the ktexteditor framework:
src/view/kateviewaccessible.h
src/view/kateviewinternal.cpp

Cheers,
Frederik