KDE/ QT/ Plasma accessibility contributions

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Sun Oct 14 09:26:23 BST 2018

Hi Chrys,

It's awesome to have you on board, reading your mail makes me very happy :)

On fredag 12. oktober 2018 16:06:10 CEST chrys wrote:
> Howdy Frederik,
>
> > You need a general KDE account that works for everything.
> > https://identity.kde.org/index.php?r=registration/index
> > is where you should be able to sign up.
>
> Yes, strike! :) worked for me. I registered and can login now.
>
> > I think we need to write this up a bit more and then write to the plasma
> > mailing list as a first step.
>
> so should i do a more detailed list of keyboard navigation flaws/ needs
> for some basic stuff?should i sent all that stuff to the list? or should
> i write it directly to the phabricator project? what brings me to
> another question: am i allowed to comment/ assign stuff (of course to
> myself) on phabricator? So keep it a little up to date?

Just use phabricator directly, it's much better for tracking purposes and to
have discussions on individual points. Especially with the keyboard stuff we
want to let the plasma developers solve some of the issues since it can be
quite tricky and they know the code and should review changes anyway.

> > These should be easy to fix nowadays, maybe we can try to explain how on
> > the mailing list. If you have one concrete example, then let's try to do
> > it.
> ah, thats even a awsome idea! I will search for those an label as soon i
> can turn on my home computer (i m currently still at work).
> as i remember the window switcher/ workspace switcher doesn't talk as
> IMO important parts of the desktop (but i also asume its not a typical
> "missing lable" bug and will require a little more, not sure).

Getting KWin and the window switcher to work was something we did attempt
before, it's tricky, even though I think David Edmundsen made good progress
with this in the past. I hope he can update us on the state.

I think it would be best for you to find something that almost works, but for
example misses some label, just to get started on something that will be
rewarding. Getting the workflow, with reviews and everything can be a bit
intimidating initially. It can also be hard to get things to build and work,
depending on which part we look at. So let's try to start easy.

> > Not that I know of. It's pretty easy to get a blog registered for
> > planet.kde.org, I think many people would be happy about some progress
> > reports.
>
> ok so i will register a blog there? maybe something like an "team" blog?
> maybe others wants to blog there as well?
> maybe first thing we should blog should some initial instruction how to
> make orca run on KDE (requirements, shortcuts, what you already did at
> mailing list).

Yes, that seems to be a common problem, if we can document how to get Orca
working in general, that would be great!

Cheers,
Frederik