Status update KW 46

chrys chrys at linux-a11y.org
Fri Nov 16 20:22:06 GMT 2018

Howdy List,
an small update what its currently going on at accessibility front for
QT/ Plasma.
1. i feel sick the last 2 weeks so my progress slowed down here. (damit!)

2. Frederik was working to fix the Kate accessibility issues. it is
mostly done but might be improved in future. This requires some work on
QT stack what he gladly did. but this will take some time

3. i just land (japp! by myself, me and I, with Frederik's help) my
patch to make the page changer, to switch between docs& apps and
widgets, at overview accessible

4. to make kickoff (default main menu) working its a little more hard
than thought. i will submit my patch today to add the a11y labels and
roles but this is not enough here. Problem is that the focus is always
on the search entry and whatever element is selected its just
highlighted by an fake focus. this doesn't tell orca what item is
currently selected or the fact that there is an focus change. i found
this on several places in plasma. after doing an small phone call with
Frederik (thanks for that dude), we decide to involve the plasma guys
here too. This is not only for fixing the issue but also to sensitize
that problem and make it more present for new plasmoids.

5. To get an overall overview of the accessibility state of plasma I
just investigated the default plasma installation to detect that
accessibility issues. I found the following and added them to
phabricator "Plasma Accessibility" project. If anyone wants to take a
look at an issue let me know:
T10065 Default application starter does not handle focus
T10064 Clipboard Plasmoid focus handling and keyboard navigation
T10063 Vault Plasmoid is missing A11y labels and roles
T10062 Clipboard Plasmoid is missing A11y labels and roles
T10060 Network Plasmoid is not keyboard navigate able
T10059 Bluetooth Plasmoid is not keyboard navigate able
T10058 Printer Plasmoid is not keyboard navigate able
T10057 Volume Plasmoid is not keyboard navigate able
T10056 Tray Icons: Notification Area is not keyboard navigate able.
T10055 KWin Zoom Plugin: Show Windows plugin doesn't work properly
T10054 KWin Zoom Plugin: Task Switcher shown correctly

i think thats all for now.

chrys over and out :)