Simion simion314 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 07:26:41 UTC 2018

Hi Gary, Okular the KDE pdf reader has the option in the right click
context menu for reading the selected text. I do not use that though, it
is not as flexible, so what I do is this
1 install jovie, it requires speech-dispatcher so install that too if is
not installed and needed languages,
you will probably need to install espeack, others use festival but
espeack is good enough for me I do not need natural voices since I use
them on fast speed anyway
2 configure jovie by creating a voice, in my case I create an English
and a Romanian voice, chose your preferred speed level I prefer them
very fast.

3 start jovie, open the pdf or other cocument select and copy the text
to clipboard, then right click jovie Icon in the tray and select "Speack
Clipboard contents"
4 if you are using KDE you can assign keyboard shortcuts for jovie
actions, so I assign some of the extra multimedia keys on my keyboard to
jovie actions.
If you are not using KDE you can still control jovie via DBUS, so if
your DE can run commands  you can use (with jovie running in background)
qdbus org.kde.KSpeech /KSpeech sayClipboard

I hope I remembered all the steps needed to set things up,