Contributing

Christoph Feck cfeck at kde.org
Sat Apr 28 11:51:21 UTC 2018

Hello Simion,

On 28.04.2018 12:48, Simion wrote:
> Hi all, I want to contribute to jovie and related software, I have
> contributed in the past to jovie(small fixes) so is not my first time,
> I opened a bug yesterday and attached a patch to it as well,
>
> I would also like to do some small updates to this page
> https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Text-To-Speech but I do
> not know how I should proceed.
>
> In the past I was helped by jpwhiting , I did not seen him this days on
> IRC so I am not sure if he is still involved.

The Qt library recently gained rudimentary text-to-speech capabilities,
and it was decided to not develop Jovie further. Applications now use
the QtSpeech API, instead of talking to Jovie, but some remaining ones
might still need to be ported over.

If you are interested to improve TTS in QtSpeech[1], I suggest to
contact Qt developers via the development qt mailing list[2].

For more information about QtSpeech, please see [3] and [4].

[1] https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtspeech-index.html
[3] http://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/01/20/qt-speech-text-speech/
[4] https://www.ics.com/blog/text-speech-look-qt-speech-module

--