Accessibility warnings

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Fri Oct 13 08:22:06 UTC 2017

On onsdag 11. oktober 2017 13.57.29 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> Hello,
> Recently I've been trying to make sure accessibility is properly set
> up on my system. Since, I've been seeing the following warnings, maybe
> you guys know what's going on:
>
> I get tons of these:
> WARNING Qt AtSpiAdaptor: Accessible invalid:
> QAccessibleInterface(0x555a67823190 invalid)
> "/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/2147497884"
> WARNING Qt AtSpiAdaptor: Accessible invalid:
> QAccessibleInterface(0x555a67823190 invalid)
> "/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/2147497884"
> WARNING Qt AtSpiAdaptor: Accessible invalid:
> QAccessibleInterface(0x555a67823190 invalid)
> "/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/2147497884"
> WARNING Qt AtSpiAdaptor: Accessible invalid:
> QAccessibleInterface(0x555a67823190 invalid)
> "/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/2147497884"
> WARNING Qt AtSpiAdaptor: Accessible invalid:
> QAccessibleInterface(0x555a6a188770 invalid)
> "/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/2147497882"
> WARNING Qt AtSpiAdaptor: Accessible invalid:
> QAccessibleInterface(0x555a6a188770 invalid)
> "/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/2147497882"
> WARNING Qt AtSpiAdaptor: Accessible invalid:
> QAccessibleInterface(0x555a6a188770 invalid)
> "/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/2147497882"
> WARNING Qt AtSpiAdaptor: Accessible invalid:
> QAccessibleInterface(0x555a6a188770 invalid)
> "/org/a11y/atspi/accessible/2147497882"

Here it would be interesting when this happens and for which qobjects. It's an
incoming event (from e.g. Orca) to get information from a
QAccessibleInterface.

The target is invalid (iface->isValid() returns false). It could be that the
object has been deleted in the meantime, maybe we should get rid of the
warning. It has been turned into a categorized logging warning in the mean
time. But it would be interesting what triggers it. More information needed.
To see details set a breakpoint for the message in qtbase src/platformsupport/
linuxaccessibility/atspiadaptor.cpp.

The hard part is to find out what the target of the message was, maybe you're
lucky and a debugger still shows which object was requested.

> Then as soon as I type something, I get this other one:
> ity policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
> network connection was broken."
> QSpiApplication::keyEventError  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply"
> "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
> application did not send a reply, the message bus secur
> ity policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
> network connection was broken."
> QSpiApplication::keyEventError  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply"
> "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
> application did not send a reply, the message bus secur
> ity policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
> network connection was broken."
> QSpiApplication::keyEventError  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply"
> "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
> application did not send a reply, the message bus secur
> ity policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
> network connection was broken."

This is the code in qtbase/src/platformsupport/linuxaccessibility/
application.cpp - it's not pretty, feel free to have a look. When a11y is
enabled, it allows Orca to intercept keyboard events. This should really be
moved into the window manager or cleaned up in some other way (input
methods?), but it would require coordination with the Orca people. Any ideas
appreciated, I did not enjoy working on that part at all since I am convinced
that its architecture is just wrong.

Cheers,
Frederik