kde and speech

Gustav Degreef gustav97 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 13:43:36 UTC 2017

On 10/12/2017 07:33 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Hi Gustav,
> I'm glad Jovie has been helpful for you. I need an excuse to get back
> into KDE development again, this might be just the thing to get me
> there. Can I ask you a few questions to make sure the stuff I
> add/suggest is usable for you quickly?
>
> 1. What distribution of linux are you using with Jovie?
opensuse 42.2 and 42.3.  I've used it with opensuse as far back as 11.0
I think (not sure when I started using it) if not earlier.  Also used it
with Debian 6 and 7.

> I am very confident I can create functionality in plasma or try with
> orca to get the functionality that you are used to. Orca and Jovie
> both use Speech-Dispatcher to do the speech synthesis which uses
> espeak by default but can be easily changed to use mbrola which sounds
> slightly better or pico (the same voices from Android) if pico is
> available on your distribution. Once I know the distribution you are
> using I can guide you through setting up Jovie/Speech-dispatcher to
> use these better quality voices

That would be fantastic.  Several months back I tried to switch from
e-speak (at the prompting of my wife who has to hear it so often :)  )
but I got bogged down and could not succeed.