[Kde-accessibility] can't subscribe to list

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Wed Jun 8 14:23:19 UTC 2016

Hello Jude,

there are several ways of getting accessibility in KDE and Plasma improved. I
would recommend starting with a distribution that is accessible and installing
two desktops in parallel - get some Gnome or Unity and install the kde desktop
at the same time.
This way you should end up with a working login manager and there you can
choose which system to log in to. Being able to test individual applications
in the working environment is probably an advantage, although applications
should generally work in either environment.
There is one caviat: when using different styles, applications may behave
differently depending on the desktop environment in use.

Once you have the ability to log in to Plasma with a system that has a screen
reader installed and ready, it should in theory be able to activate Orca - on
recent Plasma releases it should activate using the same shortcut as in Gnome
sessions. I wouldn't be surprised if this got broken again - I'm not sure.
You may need sighted assistance - check in System Settings, Desktop Behavior,
Accessibility. There is a checkbox to enable Orca in the Screen Reader tab.

Assuming that works, some parts of Plasma should be accessible, but there is
much left to be desired - the system tray and network config is for example
completely inaccessible as far as I know - mostly due to keyboard shortcuts
and missing hints.

I don't usually find the time to really work on these issues, but good reports
and a defined plan of what is the most burning stuff to fix would certainly be
helpful. It's also an option to blog about the progress or lack thereof and
hope to get some more people involved.

Frederik