[Kde-accessibility] Installing Simon in Microsoft Windows

Peter Grasch peter at grasch.net
Sat Feb 28 18:19:18 UTC 2015

Hi Jean,

> In the Scenario window I clicked on download and installed “[EN/H4W]Mouse” . Then I proceeded to the next window which is Speech Model where I clicked selected Open Model and clicked on download. I Installed “[EN/VF/HTK] Voxforge” and continued to the next two windows in which I left the default settings.
You mixed phoneme sets here. The EN/H4W mouse scenario uses the H4W phoneme set, while the EN/VF base model uses the VF phoneme set. Please use only matching scenario / base model configurations.
> When I first activated Simon to test the “[EN/H4W]Mouse” Scenario, it wasn’t responding to the commands that it had.

Yes, that would be expected behaviour. The H4W transcriptions are “foreign” to the VF base model, so it will remove those words from the language model (leaving none).

> I later created a Scenario of my own and used the first dictionary that can be seen in this link http://www.repository.voxforge1.org/downloads/Nightly_Builds/AcousticModel-2014-03-01/ <http://www.repository.voxforge1.org/downloads/Nightly_Builds/AcousticModel-2014-03-01/> the one that ends with “16kHz_16bit_MFCC_O_D.tgz”.

That may be the right shadow dictionary. Voxforge slightly altered their transcription style at some point, though. Not sure when the base model was built - I think the dictionary should be fine, but if you run into problems it may be a good idea to try to use an earlier version of the Voxforge dictionary.

>  I was able to create a command that opened a Python command line using the “Trigger” button that can be found in the Grammar module when opening a Scenario. Trained the command that I used in the Scenario to open the Python command line 10 times but when I activated Simon it didn’t respond.

You said you use a base model, right? From the tag, that is a Julius / HTK model. Training only has any effect if you either don’t use a base model or use an adapted base model. Did you use an adapted base model? There is no base model called “[EN/VF/HTK] Voxforge”. Did you use “[EN/VF/JHTK] Voxforge” or [EN/VF/JHTK] Voxforge Binary”?

> After training the Senerio that I created and trying to get it to work, this error started to appear everytime I tried activating Simon:

Hm. Weird. Do these files exist when the error appears?
This is Simon 0.4.1, right?

Best regards,
Peter