[Kde-accessibility] experimental idea with colour fonts

michel okgomdjgbmoij at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 07:54:20 UTC 2014

i suggested the idea a few years back. I neglected it since then.
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=93881

in short, the idea is for the people that are partially blind and rely on the
magnifying lens. .... of course it's also "kool" :P .

Instead of relying only on the shape of the letters, they could instaid read
by distinguishing the colours of the letters. This should ease reading,
because more readable text can be crammed in the scream. There is some
learning involved, but it can be incremental and relatively painless.

I've seen on TV, some people that need to literally put there nose just in
front of the screen, with the letters taking over the whole hight of the
screen to be able to read. These kind of people would benefit the most.

The proper way to do it, would be to implement part of the SVG fonts.
The hacker way, would be to permit for individual letters to have there own
colours/background colour in KDE applications. For example, all "a" are red
with yellow background, all "b" are green with purple background. As an extra
hack, new fonts can be made, specifically for this use, that's unrelated with
the developers here.

I think the hacker way isn't too difficult. Right?
I'm not a programmer, isn't my idea simple enough and worth implementing?
What you think? Why you wouldn't want to implement the hacker solution?

I think it's an idea that is worth looking in to.

I would like to discuss it a bit.

Thank you for reading.
:D

(...yea, it's a through away email address, call me quantum immortal)