[Kde-accessibility] experimental idea with colour fonts

michel okgomdjgbmoij at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 10:19:52 UTC 2014

Dear Gustav

The idea is, not to try to see the shapes of the letters, instead, use a
colour code. It seams some misunderstood ,that it is about making the letters
easier to read (see the shape). For example if you define "a" as red on a blue
background, when you see a red blur surrounded by blue blur, you know that
it's a "a", despite the fact that you didn't actually see the "a".

The exact details are up to the user, he can use the colours that he wants,
the fonts that he wants, the zoom that he wants....etc

Apparently its not a simple thing to contact the users.
.... but you are here 3:) , we can start with you :P

I made a script for Firefox, and also for kate. To test the idea.
Firefox:
http://www.webextender.net/scripts/show/96470.html
Kate: (screenshots here!!!)
http://kde-files.org/content/show.php/Colors+alphabet?content=140780

You can try them. I'll help you if you have trouble.

please try them or a kitten will die. :'[

--------How to use the scripts--------
Kate:

http://kde-files.org/content/show.php/Colors+alphabet?content=140780

depending on your system, you need to save it in
~/.kde/share/apps/katepart/syntax
or
~/.kde4/share/apps/katepart/syntax/

restart kate
open some text
you need to activate it for a specific text
Tools > highlighting > other > colors alphabet
dada...

that was the default colours
easy configuration for custom colours
Settings > configure kate > fonts and colors > highlighting text styles
make sure you are on "other/colors alphabet"
edit it to your liking

********
Firefox:

first of all you need to install greasemonkey
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

then you install this
http://www.webextender.net/scripts/show/96470.html

you need to edit the variables in the script. I'm assuming you know something
about programs....
It's very slow because the default is terribly inefficient and broken.
But the script it's self, is good enough for testing.
By default, it uses images urls to display in place of the letters.
Just remove the url from the variables, then by default it will use the
colours (backround and the letter it self). The colours are hexadecimal code.

I'm here if you have trouble....

Hope you'll answer back

Regards

Michel