[Kde-accessibility] KSpeech

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Mon Mar 10 11:34:57 UTC 2014

Torsdag 6. mars 2014 20.34.05 skrev Christoph Feck:
> On Thursday 06 March 2014 17:13:19 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:43 AM, Frederik Gladhorn <gladhorn at kde.org>
>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > As with other Qt libs, this is more for the platform to set up.
> > > Currently qtspeech uses whatever voice is selected system wide
> > > (aka the default). I think that is the right approach - follow
> > > what we get from the platform. For KDE I'd thus suggest creating
> > > a configuration module which lets the user choose the platform
> > > defaults.
> >
> > Yeah, each platform could have its own configuration of the
> > defaults sure, the only part missing is a real-time configuration
> > change. For example if Jovie is reduced to a kcm to configure
> > speech-dispatcher's default voice and I start listening to a pdf
> > from okular or something and decide I need the pitch to be lower,
> > changing the default voice wont change the voice that
> > speech-dispatcher is already using to read the pdf.  Maybe that
> > could be fixed with a patch to speech-dispatcher to accept
> > immediate default changes though, I'll have to think about that.
>
> Let me refer to http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-css3-speech-20110419/
> which defines attributes a web page can use to influence speech. Would
> be nice if we had API supporting web speech.

This is interesting in that different synths have already some sort of support
for this.

> Regarding voice selection, it would be very useful to allow the
> application to specify female/male/child voice via API (in addition to
> the ability to let the user reconfigure actual voices). Similar to
> letting the application request Sans, Sans Serif, and Monospaced font.
>
> For example, when generating different voices while reading out e-book
> stories.

Makes sense. I'd like to get an overview over the native APIs first.
Let's collect their capabilities and then try to come up with a sensible
compromise.
Feel free to gather data here:
http://qt-project.org/wiki/QtSpeech

Cheers,