[Kde-accessibility] Presentation, follow text and some other things

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Fri Jan 31 14:22:00 UTC 2014

Torsdag 30. januar 2014 14.23.12 skrev Mario Fux A11Y ML:
> Am Mittwoch, 29. Januar 2014, 01.36:57 schrieb Adrián Perales:
> > Hi.
>
> Morning Adrián
>
> > First of all, my English is not very good when talking about this kind
> > of topic (I'm Spanish), so excuse me if I don't explain very well. I am
> > a regular desktop user with no much experience with collarobating in a
> > project, so excuse me if some of the points that I'm going to explain
> > are not in the correct place, or maybe they are implemented and I didn't
> > saw them.
> >
> > I have sight issues, a some time ago I used a propietary accessibilty
> > program wich features I miss now that I need then, and I know that you
> > could implement them :)
> >
> > I activated the Kwin zoom, because KMag seems to be oriented to be
> > floating on the desktop more than magnify all the screen. And there are
> > two points in wich this zoom is not very usefull: it doesn't follow text
> > cursor nor "menu focus". I explain.
> >
> > Imagine you're writing a mail with Kmail or Thunderbird (like I'm doing
> > writing this), and the text disapear from the magnified zone of the
> > screen, you don't see what you're writing. With "follow text cursor" I
> > mean that the cursor that appears when writing text should be focused
> > instead of the mouse when writing.
> >
> > With "Menu Focus" I refer to this cases when you're moving between menus
> > or programs with your keyboard. You select an element on the meno, or in
> > Dolphin, press "down" to select another, and in some momeent the element
> > selected is out of sight. The zoom should follow the focused item in
> > each case.
>
> IIRC there was some work about this some time ago. Probably in kwin. Martin
> Graesslin (in CC:) might know more about it.

This work was done for KMag. I could imagine it for KWin as well. It's not a
big code and could be an option in the KWin effect. Of course it depends on
libQAccessibilityClient (of which I really need to make a release now since
it's stable and there were not many changes lately).

Greetings,
Frederik