[Kde-accessibility] Talking clock

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Mon Feb 17 15:23:40 UTC 2014

On 17 February 2014 02:44, Bob Stia <rnr at pasco.org> wrote:
>  I have been subscribed to this list for some time now. I realize that this
> list is mostly for developers but I watch it in hopes of new accessability
> features. I am legally blind with macular degeneration and can no longer see
> fonts and numerals.

Actually, such feature requests and discussions are very welcome here,
it's hard for us to understand the daily experience of needing
accessibility software and what features people need to make their
lives easier.

> My request is a simple one. Is there a KDE application for a talking clock
> with an icon that I can click on and speak the time to me?  If so where can I
> find it?

As Mario noted, you can set the panel clock up to speak the time if
you have the right speech software installed, but that only works on a
regular schedule, i.e. every N minutes, which doesn't meet your use
case.  One advantage to the Plasma Clock code is that there's a shared
code base for the basic clock functions, such as speech, with devs
able to write new clock guis without too much effort.  It should take
someone who knows what they are doing an hour or two to write a new
clock version that takes a single click on the plasmoid to speak the
time instead of popping up the calendar.  I'll post to the Plasma list
and to Google+ to see if I can find a volunteer :-)  Do you have any
other suggestions for how you would like the clock to work, or
anything else you'd like to see improved?

Cheers!

John.