[Kde-accessibility] ANNOUNCE: at-spi2-atk 2.8.1 released

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Mon May 13 21:09:16 UTC 2013

Bob,

The Qt app you are referring to is KMag?  at any rate, any screen reader
(Orca, some kde based equivalent) uses at-spi2-atk to get accessible names
and descriptions for gtk based applications.  Orca (which uses gtk) also
uses that to get accessible names and descriptions from Qt based
applications if they are exposed by QT_ACCESSIBILITY being set in your
environment.  at-spi2-atk is not an application itself, but a library that
other applications use, so installing it, or upgrading it to the latest
released version on your system isn't likely to change how KMag or
festival/espeak, etc. work.  It may make orca work better for your case if
you are using orca, but it shouldn't affect KMag or festival or espeak
since they don't use that library.  I hope that helps clarify things a bit.

BR,
Jeremy