[Kde-accessibility] Fwd: [SoK 2013] Summary of proposed changes in SImon

Sanjiban Bairagya sanjiban22393 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 12:07:28 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sanjiban Bairagya <sanjiban22393 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Subject: [SoK 2013] Summary of proposed changes in SImon
To: Peter Grasch <me at bedahr.org>

Hi Peter,

Here are the main changes that have been planned to be made to the
interface so far-
1. New users of Simon often don't know the fact that all scenarios are not
compatible with all base models. So if we do select a scenario and a base
which
is not compatible, what happens presently is that it does not work. So we
can
think of a way to let the user know about this compatibility from the
interface
itself, that is, by using small but visible footnotes, or else we can
design it such,
that by default when user chooses a scenario it will select the base model
with
which it can work.

2. As far as voice recognition is concerned, I think that, along with the
volume, the
signal to noise ratio is also very important. So we can modify the
recognition
section in a way, such that when an individual speaks on the mic for
atleast a
minimum duration of time X, this action (of speaking) can be automatically
detected by Simon, and the snr will be calculated from that very moment
till the
time there is no voice speaking for some time Y. This will be compared to
an
optimal snr and respectively it can be showed directly if it is okay or
not. By doing
so, the user wont have to start a training every time he just wants to
check his
mic configurations. All he needs to do, is talk and then Simon would say if
it's
okay or not.

3. I was also thinking of adding a small slider on the right hand side of
the screen,
which would show the Simon Manual for quick reference. By "slider" I mean,
small left-arrow button, which when clicked will show the manual on the
right of
the screen taking around 25-30 % of the screen only.

Regards,
Sanjiban Bairagya
(fewcha on IRC)