[Kde-accessibility] [KDE Usability] Bad Studies Are Worse: About the Recent Results on Detail in Icon Design

Björn Balazs bjoern.balazs at user-prompt.com
Fri Jan 11 19:38:50 UTC 2013

Dear mutlu,

thank you for at least giving your reply a softening frame before cross-
posting it all over the world.

I am very happy to talk to you and others about the criticism you have
(Preferably in the comments of the post, so others gain a benefit from it). I
personally think there is some misunderstanding. So let me clarify a few
points.

You insinuate that there is a call to action

You say:
> please don't encourage the F/OSS community to invest resources into design
> based on well-meaning but simply wrongly executed studies.

I do not do that - I would not dare to do that based on the results I present.

I simply say:
> Whenever you create icons, try to be as iconic as possible – or to phrase it
> differently: try to remove as much details from your icons as possible. It
> is likely that the quality of your icons will win.

This is something I would quote even without any data as a background. Use as
much detail as you need, but not more. Anything fancy and additional will make
the icon worse. Nothing special here. Nothing like: Throw all icons away and
redo them. I am not even pointing to a single icon in this study and say
'throw it away'. So your warning seems to be exaggerated to me.

Next you say:

> This study is so flawed  that the value of its results is nonexistent.

The misunderstanding here is that there is no 'study' concerning high- and
low-level details in icons. The word 'study' is used first in the comments.

I say:

>It seems to be an easy truth: Too much detail in icons confuses the users. So
>we wondered whether we could find any evidence for this truth in the data of
>our large scale test of the LibreOffice Icons.

If you read this, it becomes clear that we look at the results of something
that was never designed for testing low- vs. high-detail icons. We are simply
looking at a prejudice about icon design - in this case: more detail is worse.
And we are using something we accidentally have - the results of the
LibreOffice Icon Test study.

The results are not useless. I tell you this as someone who has actually done
a lot of statistics in his life. We look whether in this set of data we can
find evidence that the prejudice is wrong - and we cannot. The methodology is
well respected: We did a rating of icons with two experts and discussed icons
we disagreed. The rest is simple statistics.

This is exactly what I describe in the post. So where might I be wrong?

I think I made one mistake in this whole article - and I would like to
apologize for that: The formulation of the headline and the teaser probably is
a bit too brave and might hence be misleading.

I want to take the chance, as you are so heavily concerned about the question
of detail in icons:

As you already outlined the design of a study that would directly address the
question of high- vs. low-detail icons, I happily invite you - and others
interested as well: I will support you as much as I can with conducting such a
study. I personally would be interested in the results as well.

All the best,

Björn