[Kde-accessibility] simon listens api

Peter Grasch me at bedahr.org
Mon Feb 4 17:30:15 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 02/04/2013 03:38 PM, Wlodek Wiszka wrote:
> I'm considering developing a Windows application for language teaching
> software. Is it possible to use Simon for that? Here are my questions:
> - do you have any API? what technology?
Yes, you could write a Simond client (TCP/IP protocol) or use
libsimonrecognizer directly.

> - how can I build the software for Win7, Win8, maybe Win XP? Are there
> any guides/tutorials on that?
No. Basically, you set up a KDE on Windows development environment with
emerge ( http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Windows/emerge).
Then just run "emerge simon".

That sounds easy but in practice there are often a lot of hurdles to
solve before getting past building kde-runtime or even qt in some cases.

YMMV, obviously.

> - can Simon give a more extensive response in hearing a phrase, e.g.
> accent check, speaking fluency and alike
Not really, no.

To sum up: Yes, you can write 3rd party applications that take advantage
of Simon, but for your particular purpose, you probably shouldn't.

Best regards,
Peter