[Kde-accessibility] Simon: Organizational Structure

Mario Fux A11Y ML a11y-ml at unormal.org
Mon Aug 5 20:38:56 UTC 2013

Am Montag 05 August 2013, 21.50:05 schrieb Peter Grasch:
> Hi,

Morning Peter and Co

> as the scope of our project grows to include sample acquisition, web
> application development, etc. it certainly makes sense to talk about
> some organizational parameters.
>
> After a lively discussion in the meeting, and some more thinking this is
> what I would propose:
> "The Open Speech Group" (name is a work in progress)
> The open speech group would be a team name under the KDE e.V.'s
> umbrella. This means that it would be be subject to the principles and
> recipient of all the benefits defined by the KDE manifesto:
> http://manifesto.kde.org (please read it carefully)
>
> In practice, I'd like to have a dedicated category in KDE's extragear,
> putting "Speech" on the same level as e.g. "PIM" or "Network". Within
> this group (project), we'd then collect all different sub-projects (like
> the LiveTranscriber, models, etc.).
> The KDE manifesto ensures that we each have access to each other's
> projects, guaranteeing open collaboration.
>
> The barrier of entry for a new, interested contributer is in this case
> defined as "getting a KDE contributer account" (basically signing up for
> an account online and having someone else from the team vouch for you).
> Regarding this, I would also like to remind you that technically, you
> have all cleared that "barrier of entry" already in some form or
> another: Simon is a KDE project and to a certain extend you all are now
> contributers. What I'm trying to highlight here is that in practice, the
> barrier of entry is mostly defined by the community behind the project,
> not the steps themselves. And KDE has an outstanding track record when
> it comes to community spirit.
>
> Here's some more reasons why I think we're better off under the KDE
> umbrella than outside of it:
> * KDE brings established practices, infrastructure and credibility.
> * The KDE community is very active and inclusive. Just by mere
> association we gain potential contributers.
> * KDE has established marketing and promotion channels.
> * The KDE e.V. is an openly governed, stable legal foundation with more
> than 15 years of experience.
> * Inclusion in community initiatives like Google Summer of Code or
> Season of KDE.
> * Much more but it's getting late and I'm pretty tired :)

Let me add some stuff.

- We get wikis (techbase.kde.org for technical stuff, community.kde.org for
organisational stuff and userbase.kde.org for enduser documentation).
- We get mailinglists, a great and responsive sysadmin team, a cdn mirror
network, translators and i18n/l10n people
- Other great community...
- Oh and before I forget: live hacking sprints like randa-meetings.ch and
similar ;-).

> Let me know what you think.

Of course from my side a big plus one.

> Best regards,