[Kde-accessibility] Greetings from Randa (and translations for qt-at-spi)

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Sun Sep 23 10:49:54 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I thought I'd provide a random update since we're currently gathered in
Switzerland, rocking KDE accessibility.

So the maybe most relevant, thanks to Albert Astals Cid help we can now have
translations. This means loading the kde translation system. It also means we
now have cmake as build system since that makes it easier to link to the KDE
translation system. All that is missing are the actual translations which will
be picked up by translators soon and then a release.

Dear KDE translators, I'd love to have translations for qtatspi_qt in the
playground-accessibility folder, then I can make a release in about a month
(say end of October). It's not that many strings and they will make quite a
difference since for people using a screen reader these few words like "button"
come up again and again when navigating the user interfaces. With speech
synthesization enabled this sounds particularily bad in the wrong language ;)

In other news we made some progress in Dolphin, such that now the folders will
be read when in "icon" mode, the tree view mode is still lacking.
A few more crashes were fixed and we'll move on to reviewing some more
applications. Hopefully the next kde releases will become better and better
when it comes to accessibility. We did postpone the webkit work though, which
means that the email view in KMail will continue to be problematic.

Please keep the feedback comming so we work even harder ;)

Greetings
Frederik