[Kde-accessibility] Simon

Peter Grasch me at bedahr.org
Wed Sep 19 07:12:56 UTC 2012

Hi Steve,

Am Dienstag, den 18.09.2012, 13:47 -0300 schrieb Steve Cookson:
> I don't know if this is any help, I used Valgrind for tracing.  I tried gdb,
> but it didn't crash and gave me nothing.
You are running "simon" through gdb, not "simond". But "simond" (the
server component) is the one that crashed.

Please try again by first disabling the server auto start (like
described in my last email) and then explicitly starting simond through
gdb.

> As you see if you scroll down, simon crashed, but then restarted itself in a
> new process 2965 -> 2970.
simon crashed? Are you sure? Your original email reported a crash in
simond, not simon. I can also not see anything immediatly problematic
with this valgrind log.

> As we are planned to start live trials in the next two weeks, I need to have
> a working system.  I'm going to roll back to 11.10 pending resolution of
> this issue.  I did try to rebuild simon with the 11.10 .deb file, but this
> didn't work either.  It was not recognised.
I'm afraid I don't understand: What do you mean by rebuilding simon with
the 11.10 package? What was not recognized?

> As an aside, it does seem that permissions have changed under 12.04 LTS as
> we have encountered some other issues.  It may be that this is where the
> problem lies, but I am speculating.
Maybe. The 12.04 package was actually created by a Simon user who wanted
to get it running on 12.04 - at least for him it worked but there might
still be some lingering issues.

Best regards,
Peter