[Kde-accessibility] Working Demonstration for Simon[GSoC]

Peter Grasch grasch at simon-listens.org
Tue Mar 20 21:12:40 UTC 2012

Hi Yash,

Thanks for the demo and also for the creative ideas about also using other
visual cues. While I also think that there might be a small userbase for the
blinking feature it might be perfect for some (especially those with physical
disabilities). As we are talking about additional plugins, adding this feature
would bring absolutely no negative side effects ("bloat") to the people who
don't use it so go nuts :)

I really like the idea of tracking the mouth and I think it might even make
sense to do this "per default" (as a normally activated option in the "normal"
face tracking plugin) - depending on how good it works in practice (think of
"mmmhhh").

Gesture controls are of course also a good idea.

Performance wise: It's going to be important to handle the case of multiple
plugins accessing the webcam (both performance wise and out of necessity -
normal v4l2 devices can only be read by one application at a time). We'll neet
a central "vision" base - probably as a shared library.

Also, what about opencl? While simple tracking tasks should normally by doable
without acceleration, I'm a bit worried about power consumption - especially
on mobile devices.

Am Dienstag, 20. März 2012, 16:56:08 schrieb Sina Bahram:
> The only remaining thing from me would be to possibly lower the threshold to
> 1 second instead of 2 for perceived responsiveness.
+1

> Also, is the system recording the past 500 to 1,000 ms of audio in a
> temporary buffer so as to be able to start from there?
That's not part of the context plugin itself - but it depends.
The "disable soundcard" part of the context architecture isn't implemented yet
but when it is, it'll most likely really stop the recording of that device.
However, e.g. disabling scenarios only stops their commands from being
executed - the recognition runs just as it normally would.
So if a scenario is disabled, the user starts to speak and the scenario gets
enabled while he is speaking, it'll work fine.

Best regards,
Peter