[Kde-accessibility] Working Demonstration for Simon[GSoC]

Yash Shah blazonware at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 20:27:31 UTC 2012

 Hi Peter,

I am working on project of face detection/recognition for Simon since last
few days. I have implement some part of it. I would like to demonstrate
that to you.

As the major obstacle for command and control speech recognition systems is
to differentiate commands from background noise, We will activate the
recognition only when the user is actively looking at the screen / robot
and we will also detect whether the user is speaking or not by recognizing
mouth movements. *So now we are not only detecting face, We are also
detecting whether he is speaking or not.* *We can also activate/deactivate
the microphone on eye blinks. *For example, If the user blinks eyes
continuously for two times, we can activate/deactivate the microphones. We
will also allow user defined gestures to control it. This matches a natural
"human to human" communication.

I have uploaded the working video on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGI4lYXxlWg

I am able to detect:
 1. Face.
2 .Eyes
3. Mouth
4. Whether the user is speaking or not.

I am able to track the cropped image of the face accurately which can be
seen in the Cropped Window of the video. I am also able to track the size
of the face and also for tilted face. Also, The processing of images hardly
takes much CPU usages. We are checking for users every 2 seconds which
makes it fast and efficient.

This is just the demonstration of how things will be done. We will be using
libKface library for efficient face detection. It was developed by my
friend Aditya Bhatt from my college in Gsoc 2010. I will extend that for
detecting mouth and other parts. It is not just about 3 months of GSoC, We
will keep linking Computer vision to Simon even after that.

--
Regards,
Yash Shah