[Kde-accessibility] Menu bar in qt apps in Ubuntu Precise

Alex Midence alex.midence at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 15:41:24 UTC 2012

Hi, folks,

Wondered if anyone could offer up any advice on fixing this problem:

For some reason, the menus are not being read in qt apps in Precise
whereas they were being read in Oneiric.  I was able to test this in
Amarok, Dragon Player, KWallet and a few others.  I'd hit, say alt h
and then the down arrow and Orca would announce "Pop-up menu" and then
read the menu item such as "Handbook", "About"  ETC.  Now, I do this
in Precise, and I get silence the whole way through.  What I will say
is that I am able to explore these apps in flat review pretty well
with the odd "filler" and "label" object being announced.

The other thing I've noticed is that Unity 2d's controls are not as
nicely labled as they were in Oneiric.  I now hear "shell filler" and
then something like:

pannel, pannel, pannel Libre Office Impress not running Pannel Pannel Pannel

Hitting right arrow no longer works as nicely to go from one to the
other.  Reason I'm bringing this up in both orca list and the kde list
is that I'm wondering if something has been done to the qt-at-spi
bridge that's different in this version and that is making qt apps
read less well than they did before.  Unity 2d, I understand, is qt
based which is why the qt-at-spi bridge is installed by default.  Are
there any components I'm missing?  I did go into the console and
executed the export QTACCESSIBILITY=1 command before logging into my
desktop session as I understand this makes a difference based on what
I've read.  Also, I note that all the version numbers of the KDE apps
installed in the kubuntu-desktop package have 4.8 in them which leads
me to believe that they are running qt 4.8 which is said to work best
with the qt-at-spi bridge.

Sorry about the length and I hope someone can help,
Alex M