[Kde-accessibility] Problems with qt-atspi and Orca

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Mon Sep 26 08:33:25 UTC 2011

Sunday 25. September 2011 10.19.58 skrev Thomas Ward :
> Hello list,
>
> A few minutes ago I caught a post on the Orca list that Attila has
> managed to get qt-atspi up and working. Unfortunately, I can't say the
> same for myself. A couple of weeks ago I joined this list offering to
> help out, Fredrik gave me some good instructions for getting Qt
> accessibility working, and so I followed those directions as directed.
> Unfortunately, after compiling and building atk latest, atspi2-core,
> at-spi2-atk, Qt 4.8, and qt-atspi, and setting the export variables I
> have nothing to show for it. When I bring up the calculator test
> application, for example, Orca doesn't report anything on the screen.
> Unfortunately, it gets worse.
>
> When I try to run something like Kate, Kcalculator, etc there is some
> sort of error message that comes up on screen and Linux crashes. At
> least Orca crashes and I have to reboot the system in order to restore
> speech output. As I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 and it uses a lot of Gnome
> 2.x packages, not Gnome 3.x, I'm wondering if that might be the
> problem here. Too many dependencies are out of date and somewhere down
> the line its crashing the desktop. Any thoughts/suggestions where to
> go or what to try next?

It's hard to say anything without knowing the error messages and such.
For me there are problems starting kde applications because some will access
phonon api that is not in the qt phonon yet. You could try deleting all the
phonon libs in your qt build - rm libphonon.* in qtdir/lib. That still doesn't
explain qt-only things not working.

For a crashing orca try to use "orca -f" which really trys to kill all orca
processes and then starting orca again as usual.

Can you check if the dbus at-spi is actually running? Use something like
ps aux | grep spi
for me it shows two processes that are needed:
/usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi-bus-launcher
/usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd

I hope we'll figure it out :)

Cheers
Frederik