[Kde-accessibility] The Status of KDE Accessibility

Robert Cole rkcole72984 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 00:16:11 UTC 2011

Thanks for the reply, Jeremy.

I have a very usable KDE desktop now after some slight configuration.

I set Compiz as the default Window Manager, then edited some properties
for the Enhanced Zoom Desktop and the Mouse Position Polling Compiz
plugins using compizconfig-settings-manager (CCSM). I also disabled the
window behavior of KDE in which hovering the mouse over an inactive
window selects the window (i.e.; making it the active window). It is
working wonderfully!

I see a package in my package manager called at-spi2-core, but I do not
see any packages related to qt-at-spi. I do see some packages for
kdeaccessibility, so it could be that qt-at-spi bridge could be included
in one of these packages. When I get some more free time I will try to
take a look at this.

I have never used KDE in the past, and I really wish that I would have.
I really love it! It is easy to use and quite full of customization
options. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens in the
future between Orca and KDE.

As far as helping out with testing and things, I do not know exactly
whee to start. I am currently reading a Linux textbook to learn more
about the CLI-side of things (as I have mainly relied upon the GUI
during my five or so years of using LInux), and I have another Linux
book on the way for study purposes. I am looking forward to learning,
but i also want to contribute to the community. I just honestly do not
know exactly where to start.

I appreciate all of the information which you supplied, Jeremy. Thanks
for the kind welcome.

I am looking forward to this new learning experience!

Take care.