[Kde-accessibility] Re: kttsd - speech dispatcher problems

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Sat Oct 2 05:22:54 CEST 2010

Hey David,

Sorry about the mess.  Speech-dispatcher on opensuse is a pain also btw, and
you've helped others convince me to give openSuse another try. I've got a
package of speech-dispatcher 0.7.1 in the works in my repository on suse's
build server.  Once that's working I'll let you know.  In the meantime I
have some tips that might get you running.

2010/8/25 achiestdragon <achiestdragon at gmail.com>

>  hi all
>
> been trying to get kttsd to work
>
> firstly i must say that speach dispatcher is a real pain to configure and
> install
>
> using suse repositories  current for suse11.3
>
> install problems so far  include
>
> speach dispatcher fails to actualy install things in the correct place
> manualy copping the config files to the right place was the only way i
> managed to get it working in the end
> leaving only a problem with its port allocation not beeing right that i
> still need to solve
> but no clues on how to do that in the documentation

Try setting SPEECHD_PORT in your environment, it needs to be somewhere
before kttsd is run, so .bashrc or /etc/profile even if you want.  The
spd-conf that is broken in openSuse package does this for you I believe, but
as it's broken (missing some default .conf file to copy or something if I
recall correctly) that doesn't help.

> secondly kttsd itself  fails to recognise that there is any installed
> voices on the system
>
> on using the configure talkers tab in kttsd-mgr  to add a talker  just
> gives a strange message in both the  language and synth section reading
>
> "the name org.kde.kttsd was not provided by any .service files"

kttsd uses libspeechd to connect to speech-dispatcher, libspeechd reads
SPEECHD_PORT in speech-dispatcher 0.6.7 which is what opensuse has.  Once
that is set, kttsd should be able to talk to and present voices from
speech-dispatcher correctly.

> there now appears to be no  kttsd section  under  /.kde/apps   or
> /.kde4/apps  where the configuration may be checked /edited
>
> although i apreciate that is only a intrim mesure and the swich to speech
> dispatcher is still only beta  it seems that theres little documentation on
> the web to help understanding the setup of speech dispatcher
>
> im not shoure of the version of kttsd (current suse11.3 version) as there
> is nolonger a information tab to display that
> also the version of speech dispatcher that suse installs is version 1.6
> although theres a version 1.7 available i have been unable to get it to
> compile as yet
>
> any help here or pointers would be appriciated
>
> yours
> David

Best regards,
Jeremy

P.S. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.