[Kde-accessibility] A weird problem with ktts/jovie

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Mon Jul 19 15:13:33 CEST 2010

Hi,

I was experimenting with kttsd on KDE 4.4 but I encounter a very strange
problem that I couldn't find any trace on google.

When I add some talkers through kttsmgr and click Apply, the kttsdrc file
doesn't get written correctly. I mean, the TalkerIDs= should be something like
according to the code:

id1,id2,..,idN

but on my system the IDs never shows up instead it is empty strings separated
by a comma ','. If I add 3 talkers the conf looks like:

TalkerIDs=,,

which results in garbage reads in the next kttsmgr startup. I also built
today's trunk and tried jovie, still the same.

I'm using speech-dispather launched as per-session daemon. The default module
is espeak. The talkers are correctly listed for espeak. One thing that drew my
attention is that in the talkers tab, the Name column is always empty. Looking
at the code, I see:

talkerGroup.writeEntry (talker.name(), talker.getTalkerCode());

and it's very probable that for every talker I add talker.name() is empty. Why
can this be caused? The result of this buggy behaviour is that the dummy
output module is always selected instead of espeak as the talkers can't be
saved.

Regards,
Thanks,

---