[Kde-accessibility] new suggestion, images instaid of fonts

wofgdkncxojef at gmail.com wofgdkncxojef at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 01:12:59 CET 2010

i made a little demonstration greasemonkey script
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/92355

The script replaces individual letters by arbitrary images and little
animations (gif)(it also sets individual color fonts and background, thats
less important)

Target audience is people with vision difficulties, young children(learning
ABC), dyslexics, for coolness :P etc....

The idea is that if you add color and even animation, the visibility of text
increases. If you have vision problems, after some retraining, you'll be able
to read with less magnification, by taking your information from the colors.
Reading becomes easier, because you can fit more words in a screen, some people
are so near blind, that need one letter to reach the hight of the screen.
Because vision problems vary from person to person, its up to them to chose
what images they want to use.

For young children, we could use a phonetic alphabet (A=ananas, etc...), and
right away they will be able to decipher a little bit of what is reaten. The
default images of the script are actually a phonetic alphabet.

And of course KDE can brag that its on the bleeding edge of innovation. :P

I have some other motives, (a bit crazy >:p)
http://thedeweirdifier.blogspot.com/2010/12/unbabel.html
but they are not important here. My previous suggestions are pertinent enough
on there own.

Technically, i expect this to be implemented at the library level, maybe even
in QT it self. I don't think its that complicated technically, you can recycle
code from normal image rendering and insert it where the fonts where supposed
to be rendered.

From there the good gospel could be spread to other projects (gnome, Firefox,
etc)

So folks, what do you think? :D