[Kde-accessibility] Reworking the kwin tabbox

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Thu Jul 16 21:10:10 CEST 2009

On Thursday 16 July 2009 16:59:44 Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> So now my ideas what a new implementation could provide. Sorry no
> mockups

Please, add mockups :-). Unless you like to hear comments of what
other subscribers think of their guesses. I see mockup, I am 100%
sure what I am talking about.

>  * On the fly switching of sorting strategy (e.g. only apps of
> current desktop, all desktops,

Cool.

>  * Highlight windows effect support for currently selected window

Not sure what you mean -- you have to show selection.

>  * Thumbnail of currently selected window

Please, make this optional. While thumbnails of course provide
information, they also provide too many information. I am happy with
KDE3 switcher (except for bigger icons, horizontal orientation and
being 100% reliable).

>  * When desktop switching extend the selected item to show windows
> on the desktop as subitems -> direct switching to a client

Could you explain this more, I don't understand what you mean.

>  * Make it possible to have effects and tabbox as well with
> different shortcuts
> * Effects need to be able to switch the sorting
> as well
>  * Searching in effects

What is effect and sort here? Before you used term sort in sense of
scope. And now?

>  * Why do we have to hold the alt key while switching? Can't we
> break with the concept?

Nope, it's fast.

> What could be
> a better solution than pressing alt?

Not better -- different. You can use switcher on fly or as permanent
one. Let's denote down by v, and up by ^.

alt v, tab v (for 3 seconds), tab ^, alt ^

or

F7 v, F7 ^, tab v (for 3 seconds), tab ^, enter v, enter ^

in other words on fly switcher is activated by some shortcut which has
to be hold all the time, and releasing it means commit-switch. Or
switcher can be triggered on, and commit has to be done explicitly
(by pressing enter for example).

F7 above of course is just an example.

Both ways are useful, valid and should be supported. Just basic
reasons:
first one -- for healthy power-users
second one -- for handicapped users

> More
> ideas are welcome :-)

Well, no ideas here, I only need KISS switcher -- horizontal/vertical
(option) list with icon/thumbnail (option) and labels. With two modes
of switching (permanent and on-fly). 100% reliable. That's all.

Of course I am talking about _basic_ switcher, not expose switcher or
anything like that.

Cheers,