[Kde-accessibility] New assistive technology open source project

Cesar Mauri Loba cesar at crea-si.com
Wed Jan 21 19:12:18 CET 2009

Hi guys,

My name is Cesar Mauri. Since 2003 I'm working with machine vision and
alternative computer access close to the people of the Cerebral Palsy
Association in Tarragona (Spain). I've just launched an (my first) open
source project called Enable Viacam (eViacam) based on the former
commercial application Facial Mouse.

http://viacam.org

eViacam is a mouse replacement software that moves the pointer as you move
your head. It works on standard PCs equipped with a web camera. No
additional hardware is required. I.e. it enables computer access for
people with severe disabilities with good head control.

eViacam is in production/stable stage. Inherits most code from the
commercial version which has been successfully tested with handicapped
people with ALS, cerebral palsy, tetraplegia among others.

Development isn't completed yet, but the released version (0.9) is fully
functional and includes most of the commercial version features. In the
future the open source version will substitute the commercial one. eViacam
is being developed using wxWidgets and opencv1 and runs on Linux and MS
Win.
Although isn't build against qt libraries it integrates well with the kde
desktop.

Comments are welcomed.

Regards,

--