[Kde-accessibility] how blue must blue be for blue-on-yellow color scheme?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 23 21:07:24 CET 2008

Thanks for the feedback!

Matthew Blissett wrote:
> It was mentioned elsewhere that the scheme was for red/green colour
> blindness, so I asked a red/green colour-blind friend, who told me the
> contrast isn't a problem since colour blind people see contrast better.

Do you know if he is protanopic or deutanopic? Would this friend happen
to be on IRC any time? I'd love to get direct input from someone that
actually has color-blindness (I don't) in order to make the best
possible scheme.

> But he said the selected text doesn't show up much

That I'm not sure what the problem is. Any thoughts/suggestions? (Or did
he mean telling selection apart from not-selection?)

> and that "Allows the manipulation of widget..." is hard to read

Did he said normal text was OK though? I'm a bit confused because it
looks like the titles are just using the view color, i.e. I would expect
them to be about equally good/bad.

> and the unpressable "Apply" button is particularly bad.

Hmm... yup. On the one hand, that's partly intentional (it's supposed to
look "disabled" after all), but I see the point. I toned down the
disabled effect, so this should be improved.

> He concluded that it's far less comfortable than the standard KDE theme.

If my protanopia simulation is at all working (which I don't trust at
all ;-) ),  I actually find some of the alternate color roles very
illegible... I guess that's good news for the default scheme though :-).

> Of course, this is only one person (who presumably wouldn't choose this
> theme), but it might be worth checking exactly what's needed, i.e. who the
> yellow-on-blue is for.

Dichromats still seems likely, and of course most of those are the
"red/green" kind, where a blue/yellow theme makes sense. (The current
simulation code I have is using blue/yellow for tritanopia as well,
which is different from the pink/blue I see most places, so I *really*
don't trust that.)

--
Matthew
Current geek index: 62%