[Kde-accessibility] how blue must blue be for blue-on-yellow color scheme?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 21 18:39:02 CET 2008

(re-post to kde-a11y from kde-u7y... after noticing gmane has the wrong
address...)

Ok, so I keep hearing that blue-on-yellow colors are for a11y
specifically... that being the case, I suppose I'm going to go ahead and
add that scheme to kdea11y.

What doesn't entirely make sense to me is what's wrong with
white-on-black for most cases (rod deficiencies as opposed to cone
deficiencies, where someone can tell about colors but not lightnesses?).
Anyway... how important is it that the blue be #0000ff as opposed to
#0000c0 and there-abouts?

Put another way, would the scheme in [1] (that tries to balance being
blue-on-yellow with "something that won't cause blindness in 'normal'
people ;-)") be adequate, or do things really, really need to be
#ffff00-on-#0000ff?

1: http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3632/olympusrh8.png

Matt Blissett helpfully noted the following bugs, which can be
overlooked for answering this question:

- my Xephyr+kwin doesn't paint buttons correctly
- Oxygen uses a very bad color for progress bars

He also noted that the selection could use more contrast (actually,
there is already more contrast than in the KDE3 version, but it's still
not very good). What's the safest way to do that; make the selection
lighter, or everything else darker? Or is it "good enough" and changing
it is likely to cause problems?

--
Matthew
Hey! Where's the witty punchline?