[Kde-accessibility] Project Announce: AT-SPI D-Bus

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Tue Dec 9 16:33:45 CET 2008

Hello Mark,

this project announcement is phantastic news.

The D-Bus port of AT-SPI is a crucial building block to move KDE accessibility
forward.

It has long been my dream to have a common accessibility stack shared between
KDE and GNOME. I always originally lacked technical background knowledge to
move this forward myself, and when I had learned more about accessibility, I
was increasingly too much short of time.

In the last years, KDE developers have often asked me where to start when
dealing with accessibility. I have then given them a few general rules (no
hardcoded colours and sizes, no reliance on mouse usage, etc) but was unable
to point them to a good starting point for assistive technology support.

One way to go could be testing tools and/or a tutorial on AT-SPI D-Bus usage.
Do you think such an approach would work to lower the entry barrier?

Olaf Schmidt