[Kde-accessibility] [Accessibility] Re: [Accessibility-atspi] D-Bus AT-SPI - The way forward

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Dec 11 11:55:03 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 21:57 +0000, Rob Taylor wrote:
> Supporting com.sun.java.accessibility shouldn't be hard, but we really
> need with some input from people who understand how accessibility is
> exposed by AWT/SWT/Swing..

	Surely there should not be a per-toolkit wrt. simply bridging to a
different IPC mechanism. And indeed, the plus for Java of course would
be that it should be faster than using TCP sockets, more secure, and (of
course) will work on stock Linux systems (that disable IPv4/6 sockets).

> > I'm a bit confused by the slowdown, though.  I thought that programs
> > that use UNIX sockets to connect to the ORBit2 server will continue to
> > do so even when TCP/IP is enabled.  My understanding was that enabling
> > TCP/IP with ORBit2 just made it possible for programs that want to use
> > TCP/IP to also be able to connect to the ORBit2 server (such as Java
> > programs).
>
> Well, the slowdown occurs when you disable local sockets, so no suprise
> there :)

	I'd also expect a (small) slowdown just enabling IPv4 sockets, whether
they are used or not (and they're not preferred clearly), since in
itself that ~doubles the size of each object profile we marshal.

	HTH,

		Michael.