[Kde-accessibility] KDE4 snapshot. Where do we stand on accessibility?

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Fri Sep 8 16:13:47 CEST 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 04:41, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> Hi all
> I have learnt that a KDE4 snapshot has been released. Where does it
> stand in terms of accessibility? If there is something to test, please
> let me know, as I will install it and do some testing.
>
> If not, well I'll just wait for the next snapshot. :)

Hi Luke,

AFAIK, the snapshot does not include the kdeaccessibility module.  I believe
it does include kdebase, so in theory, one could test konqueror, kate,
konsole, etc. for accessibility.  About the only thing you could test would
be keyboard navigation and maybe high-contrast, large font theming.  The
snapshot is not intended for end users; it is intended as a very early
release of kdelibs to encourage application developers to begin porting their
apps.  If you did any testing, the goal would be to identify accessibility
issues with kdelibs, rather than the apps themselves.

My advice to you is don't waste your time with it right now.

The good news is that Harald Fernengel has begun adding AT-SPI support to Qt
using D-Bus and I have begun an experimental project trying to get Orca
screen reader working under KDE.  The project is in a very early state and
does not currently do anything, but we might have something running in a
couple of months.   If you are interested,
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/accessibility/orca-dbus/README?view=markup

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)