[Kde-accessibility] OpenOffice and KDE4 Accessiibilty [was: Orca/KDE Integration]

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Thu Sep 7 12:51:28 CEST 2006

Thanks Olaf;

Eric - I understand and agree with some of what you said, but I think
you may have missed some of the point.  Running OpenOffice.org without
gtk+ would be desirable for KDE, that's not quite what we're talking
about.   The issue of GTK+ is separable from the issue of using ATK for
OOo accessibility, since ATK does not link to or otherwise pull in
GTK+.  It pulls in glib and pango, but by comparison with the other
gtk+/gnome dependencies this is very lightweight indeed!

Until fairly recently OOo used Java for all of its accessibility
support.  On Windows this will continue to be the case.  There are
indeed many downsides in using Java for this, which is why the OOo team
changed the Linux/Unix implementation to use ATK instead.  However, if
for some reason KDE doesn't want OOo to use ATK when running in the KDE
environment, reusing the already-existing Java accessibility code in OOo
may still be the best alternative.

Also, realize that because OOo is based on its own custom widget set,
moving the accessibility support to QAccessible would not just be a
matter of porting to Qt, it would be considerably more work than that.
It's not clear to me that the result would actually do what you want or
need, since the QAccessible API seems to provide only a subset of what
AT-SPI needs for comprehensive assistive technology support, at least at
the moment.  Certainly until full-featured KDE-based assistive
technologies come on line (which will take some time), it makes sense to
reuse the existing code base and interfaces so that OOo can continue to
work with orca, gok, gnopernicus, dasher, etc. under the KDE environment.

Best regards,

Bill