[Kde-accessibility] OpenOffice and KDE4 Accessiibilty [was: Orca/KDE Integration]

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Mon Sep 4 18:10:39 CEST 2006

Hi Étienne!

It is nice to hear about your work.

Are you aware that KDE includes almost 2200 monochrome SVG icons in the
kdeaccessibility module? My first impression is that the style of your icons
is similar and that you have mostly done icons not used in KDE, so the icons
complement each other perfectly.

Danny Allen, who created our monochrome icons, mentioned several times that he
is open for collaboration with other free software projects. I even invited
the GNOME team to reuse our work, but somehow this didn't happen.

Our high contrast icons are monochrome because we also have a function that
colourises the foreground and background colour of the icons. This allows us
to define high contrast themes where the icons colours are identical to the
standard text and background colours. Partially sighted users responded
positive to this in a usability test.

We did not yet use any blur test as described on the page linked by you. This
strategy makes a lot of sense for accessibility. I think it would be helpful
to do such a test for the KDE monochrome icons, and then to change those that
are too similar.

Olaf

[ Étienne Bersac ]

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of