[Kde-accessibility] Text-to-Speech from OOo and Browsers

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Fri Sep 1 14:56:18 CEST 2006

In article <200609011342.13018.ceruleanblaze at gmail.com>,
   Paul Giannaros <ceruleanblaze at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  This was used by various application software such as word
> > processors and email/news clients to provide features such as:
> > 'speak text from cursor position onwards', and 'speak current
> > paragraph', as well as 'speak selected text'.
> >
> > I now mostly use a Linux/KDE system, but I don't find these
> > features. In OpenOffice.org and FireFox, if I want to speak text
> > then I must first select it, copy to the clipboard, and then click
> > on the KTTS panel icon and select "Speak from Clickboard" from its
> > menu.

> KTTSD provides this functionality as a plugin for Konqueror

Yes, in fact I use Konqueror (3.5.3) as my main browser, and I speak by
selecting a block of text and pressing a key.  But it doesn't seem to
provide any other functions such as "speak-text-from-cursor".

> > That is a lot more cumbersome than just a single click in the text
> > window plus an icon-click or key-press to invoke a speak function
> > in the Word Processor or Browser.
> >
> > Selecting the required text can sometimes be tricky, and sometimes
> > catches unwanted blocks of advert or sidebar text.

> > A more aware application would enforce sentence breaks after header
> > lines and paragraphs, and between list items, and around captions
> > and other separate information.

> This is precisely what the 'rich text' feature of KTTS allows you to
> do. I believe the Konqueror KTTS plugin does this already, though I
> may be mistaken.

Konqueror (3.5.3) doesn't do this, unless there's an option somewhere
that I've missed.  This is where I've noticed the problem.