[Kde-accessibility] Gnome-braille.

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 19 01:04:07 CEST 2006

Samuel Thibault wrote:
> As discussed a few months ago, gnome-braille depends on
> - libgobject for contraction/language module management
> - libglib for tricky stuff like unicode handling.

I don't have any objection to reworking this to remove
GObject, but it makes no sense to do that without removing the glib
dependency as well.  The problem with removing glib is that
gnome-braille needs very sophisticated unicode support, which is much
harder to come by that one would think.

If we have a fully desktop-agnostic unicode library alternative then I'd
be happy to work on swapping out glib/gobject.  The other problem though
is that gnome-braille is very modular/object-oriented and trying to do
nice lifecycle management in C without something like GObject is not
much fun.

So what does gnome-braille do that BriAPI and libbraille don't already
do?  Well, it provides an extremely general pluggable/chainable
conversion API (so that very complex braille conversions can be done,
like all sorts of Grade2 and Asian language braille),
multi-lang/multi-locale braille, optional braille context switching
markers, and some other localization stuff. Also, it provides a
bidirectional mapping between braille cell offsets and character/glyph
offsets throughout, so you always know what braille cell corresponds to
which character offset in the input string.  As far as I know, these are
things that the other APIs either don't offer or have difficulty with.

gnome-braille also supports several sorts of hardware and software
events, and both hardware and software "regions" within a braille display.

This is all stuff that probably isn't urgent for our English braille
users _yet_, but which I think will become increasingly important as we
get the more fundamental platform stuff working well.  While I wrote
gnome-braille as a testbed initially, it'd be very nice if we could
morph it into something everybody could make use of.  It already has
support for about 40 languages including some exotic stuff like
Devanagari/Hindi and Kanji Japanese braille; it also has a simple Grade2
English engine.

Best regards,

Bill