[Kde-accessibility] KTTS and GAIM

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Thu May 18 16:32:39 CEST 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 05:49, Payne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering is there way to get KTTS to work with GAIM, I need to
> return my mac, and I use SUSE 10.1 on my home computer, but I need to
> have KTTS or some program read out the messages from GAIM as they come
> in like Growl does.

I'm not familiar with GAIM; don't use it, so I can't say.  To interface with
KTTS, you must use DCOP, either programmatically or via the dcop command-line
utility.  For example

dcop kttsd KSpeech sayText "Hello World" 0

For more info on all the commands, see
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdelibs-apidocs/interfaces/kspeech/html/classKSpeech.html

If there is a scripting capability available in GAIM, you would write a script
that executes the dcop command (possibly via a shell).

You can also get KTTS to work with any KDE application that emits KNotify
events, but since GAIM is not a KDE application..

BTW, kopete already has such a script.  See

http://phantomsdad.blogspot.com/2006/05/three-advances-on-tts-and.html

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer