[Kde-accessibility] Accessibility Summer of Code projects

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Fri May 5 17:33:52 CEST 2006

Hi Henrik,

Cool stuff.

For the on-screen keyboard, please consider doing something like "gok
--simple" (assuming folks like David Bolter agree).  There is enough
overlap that keeping common code common would be nice (vs. fragmenting
approaches).  Also, with your use case for the student Liza, I think she
would want most of the current features of GOK, though without
necessarily the configuration GUI.  The last sentence of the Liza use
case confuses me - how does she navigate the GNOME desktop and web
perfectly without using an on-screen keyboard.

For the magnifier, I'd be very keen to work with whoever you find on
this.  I was involved in the inLARGE magnifier for Macintosh, and have
been thinking a lot about magnification for UNIX.

Also, you might consider a fourth project: technology for people with
cognitive impairments - something that's a big hole right now in UNIX.
Please see things like Read&Write Gold from TextHelp, which provide
assistance for folks with dyslexia, and with a variety of other print
disorders.  See http://www.texthelp.com/rwg.asp?q1=products&q2=rwg

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,