[Kde-accessibility] Common Public License (CPL)

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Sat Mar 4 12:44:59 CET 2006

Hi George!

Providing a stub library to circumvent the (L)GPL license does not work, no
matter how the stub library is licensed.

In KDE4, we will replace large parts of kttsd with SpeechDispatcher, so the
KDE license policy won't apply, but the problem will remain. You cannot use
Epos or espeak in the same process as the IBM speech engine, because the
license of proprietary libraries is incompatible with GPL-licensed speech
engines. You also cannot link to a proprietary library from LGPL-licensed
code (only the other way around), which means that the gnome-speech
architecture has legal problems.

SpeechDispatcher keeps the various speech engine drivers in separate processes
and avoids linking proprietary speech engines and GPL-licensed speech engines
together. This is the only correct way to do it.

As a short term solution for KDE 3, it is possible to let kttsd call a command
line application that uses the IBM voices. This can be done via the kttsd
"command" plug-in. Or IBM could provide a GPL-licensed kttsd plugin that
calling the command line utility to synchronise text, to request the
available voices or to set additonal parameters.

For KDE4 we plan to do the following:

a) We define a standard API for the drivers of speech engines.

b) SpeechDispatcher is ported to the new API.

c) We port kttsd to use SpeechDispatcher.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of