[Kde-accessibility] Use of gconf key '/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility' on KDE ?

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 26 17:22:47 CEST 2006

Hi Ashu:

Currently the state of KDE accessibility is somewhat limited.  Other
than some important theming and keyboard-navigation support, which does
not require a complex interface such as AT-SPI, there are only a few
useful utilities like KMag, KMouth, and KMousetool.  While these are
nice utilities, they aren't enough to allow users who cannot use a
keyboard at all, or who are blind or have very limited vision, to use
KDE.

We have three working screen readers (for blind users) for the free
desktop now; gnopernicus, orca, and LSR.  For users who cannot use a
keyboard, we have GOK and Dasher.  All of these technologies require the
full power of the AT-SPI interfaces, and thus require the ORBit2 CORBA
stack in order to work.  The gconf key you mention is for determining
whether support for such full-features assistive technologies should be
enabled or not.

When KDE/Qt applications provide full-featured accessibility services,
as is planned for Qt4, then those services can be bridged to AT-SPI,
making those applications available to screen readers and other sorts of
"user interface adapting" assistive technologies.

While it would be possible to write a "KDE" screen reader or KDE
onscreen keyboard for severely disable users (for instance users who
cannot even 'point and click' reliably), I don't think it would be the
best use of our resources.  Technologies like Orca are intended to work
with AT-SPI-enabled KDE apps just as they work with applications like
OpenOffice, Java apps, Firefox, and other applications today, not just
"gnome".  By writing Orca scripts for popular KDE applications, the KDE
desktop, and by fixing the inevitable bugs in KDE's keyboard navigation
and accessibility support, a modest amount of development effort can go
further to benefit disabled users.

best regards

Bill