[Kde-accessibility] kubuntu accessibility

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 14 20:29:23 CEST 2006

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> For the next version of Kubuntu I'd like to create a live CD profile
> that turns on a bunch of accessibility features to showcase what is
> available.  If you have succestions of things to include please let me know.

To that I can add: Chris Jones and I are working on a new on-screen
keyboard that should work quite well in KDE.

It depends on Gtk ATM, but the core rendering is done with Cairo.
Otherwise it mostly talks with X. It does NOT depend on AT-SPI. It
should work just fine in KDE if Gtk is available (and doesn't look
gnomish). We are planning do do its configuration in Gconf now, so that
would have to be changed to make it KDE-friendly. We would welcome
advice on what be best approach for this is.

I'm not sure what would be required to make it a proper KDE app, but not
much I should think (after all, it's still a fairly simple app, and
mostly SVG and Cairo). Does Kubuntu ship with Gtk? And if so can it
simply be run as is or would it be better to KDE-fy it?

- Henrik