[Kde-accessibility] KDE for blinds

Jean-Philippe Mengual mengualjeanphi at free.fr
Sat Jun 3 21:19:29 CEST 2006

Hi,
I came a few months ago to see what was possible in accessibility of
KDE by blind people. I experienced new things until today, and I
wanted to know if there was an evolution in accessibility.
I saw gnopernicus and, recently, I discovered orca, but these two
softwares have, I think, an important problem: they strongly depend on
gnome, and so, to use it, I have to install gnome, and it is not the
aim. On the contrary, I'd like to find a software which, either car
read a screen and applications such as OIOo or firefox, but which does
not depend on the office used (gnome or kde) or, now, a software which
depend more on kde than on gtnome. And it seems it doesn't exist.
I know that kde woud be accessible in the release 4. COuld you tell me
more about that? How will kde be more accessible? Will we have a
software such as gnopernicus or orca, but not dependent on gnome? And
when do you think kde 4 will be released? What will kde develop to be
more accessible? To finish, if what is imagined in future kde is a
speech synthetiser, will it accept French? If not, a braille support
(compatibility with BRLTTY) will it exist?
Thanks for information, I'd like to know where is kde now about
accessibility, because it's a little frustrating I think to see
softwares which depend on gnome and which are so not compatible at all
with kde. Because if they were not so gnomedependent, we could read at
leas applications with them, passing with kde. But with these
dependencies, it is impossible. It's frustrating because except thie
problem, kde is easy to build from srouce, easier than gnome, and
allows to a valid person to find an environment nearly as Windows, so
it's cool. There's only this problem, which, if I want to read an
application, I have to use gnome, and I don't want.
But I know it is difficult, so thak you very much of course. thank you
for this will to adapt kde and linux in graphic mode thus.

To sum up, how do you tink kde will be accessible (itself will have
someting, it will be more compatible with actual softwares...)? And
when kde 4?
Thanks for information about news of kde accessibility, and for all
you do to obtain that.

Best regards

JP

PS: if you think that instead of answering, I can havi these
information somewhere, could you give me the link? Thanks