[Kde-accessibility] Usability test with partially sighted users

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Thu Jun 1 21:26:30 CEST 2006

Dnia wtorek, 30 maja 2006 18:01, Ellen Reitmayr napisał:
> ... of course I'm also there to do follow-up tests with partially
> sighted users :) maybe the new ktts interface?
>
> next time I think it's a good idea to split partially-sighted and blind
> users to different weekends. it is extremely time-consuming to test
> accessibility features, and next time we should go more into detail, I
> think.

One of the problems mentioned in article is quick navigation panel in
FileOpen dialog. This panel can be closed, contrary to mention about
using of accels this use of this possibility wasn't mentioned - users
didn't know about that?

This leads to some proposition: maybe KDE-Accessibility should offer not
only High Contrast color scheme and all configuration options but whole
Accessibility profiles? These could switch many things in one time.
Proposition for partially sighted users:

- High Contrast color theme
- High Contrast icon theme
- Change appropriately font size
- move useful applications to prominent positions in
  K-Menu/Desktop/Kicker
- add to kicker shortcut for PDF(?) cheat-sheet with common keyboard
  shortcuts and accel combinations for quick checking/printing
- change defaults in chosen applications; in FileOpen dialog hide quick
  navigation panel; with time more applications could be added - I don't
  write about mentioned in test report Kate and others because problems
  there are IMO bugs and should be fixed on their own right

m.